Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Temp Fast!


I bought a thermometer the other day because I decided I just couldn't decipher the random pattern of observing cervical stuff, so I wanted to have a second set of data to be able to analyze and better determine when I ovulate.

Of course as soon as I get home I take the thermometer out of the packaging, clean it, and then start playing with it to see how consistent it is. The next morning I record a low temp of 96.4 (which, I must ask, is it normal to have one that low??). Then later that morning at work, I start surfing websites about temping (to see if other women have such low temps ever) and I read that actually I was supposed to buy a special thermometer - a BBT thermometer - which is not what I purchased (and stuck in my mouth several times)...oh well. Hopefully this regular thermometer will still serve the same purpose...

Something wonderful happened this past weekend...my best friend and I were talking about a common friend and her struggles with infertility, and I guess I sounded very knowledgeable about the topic, so she point blank asked me, "So, are you two trying?" Woah, that caught me off guard. No one has ever asked flat out like that. They normally hint at it like "So, do you think you guys might try soon?" That one is easy to dodge. But my best friend asked it straight. I couldn't (and honestly part of me didn't want to) lie to her. I told her yes. So she is now the only one besides the hubby and me who know of our attempts at trying to get pregnant. The great thing? It was such a relief to talk to a female friend about it!! I love my hubby and he's a wonderful (and patient) listener, but it's just different being able to talk about this with her. And she also confided that she and her husband are also trying (technically, not trying, just have stopped preventing for a few months). I'm just glad someone else knows.

As for an update on my cycle...the day I recorded the 96.4 temp was cycle day 19. Later that evening, my cervical stuff was extremely watery and slippery and I felt a few sharp pains on my left side. That's the sign right? We had sex within 8 hours of that, so hopefully the timing was right. Seems kind of late in my cycle to be ovulating. Assuming my luteal phase is 14 days (which honestly, I have no idea if that's the case for me), that would put my expected period at March 21st. The last two mornings, my temp was 97.0 and 97.5, respectively. So I don't know if I just coincidently started temping right when my temp dropped (indication of ovulation) or whether it was a bad reading. Plus, keep in mind that you're not supposed to start temping in the middle of your cycle, but I'm impatient.

I guess we'll see in the next few weeks what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment