Monday, March 26, 2012

First Meeting

First and foremost, thank you so much to all those who prayed for this new ministry. Your support means so much to me.

The first meeting of Hope Does Not Disappoint was this past Friday. Overall, it went really well. It was a smaller group, which I thought was perfect for the first meeting - intimate enough so everyone could share their story and struggles. It was a time for uplifting and encouraging one another. I don't know if there is interest in meeting monthly or not, but I may set another date in about a month and go from there. In the meantime, I'd like to share what I took away from the meeting...

I think the biggest lesson I learned was a great reminder about truth. And even though it's a hard truth to accept, it is the truth no less.

The truth is that we, as believers in Christ, will inevitably endure suffering and face obstacles in our mortal lives. As I've mentioned in a previous blog post, it is not so much why you suffer, but rather how you suffer -- how do you handle yourself through suffering? This is what sets us believers apart from the world.

Philippians 1:29
For to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake

The pastors present at the meeting reminded me that there is no such milestone a person reaches where things will finally be perfect, except of course passing away and entering the kingdom of God. In this mortal life, it is a lie to believe all the "If only's". Single people who desperately want to get married will not attain a life of perfect happiness by finally getting married. Married couples who desperately want children will not attain a life of perfect happiness by finally bearing children. And so on, and so on...

It's easy for me to get caught up in the milestone of achieving pregnancy, like once that happens, all will be right with the world. But the wisdom shared Friday night reminded me that that is not the truth, and not at all the perspective God wants me to have about this or any other issue in my life. Only He can truly satisfy and only after I'm reunited with Him for all eternity will my life become perfect. Until then, I will face trials and tribulations. I will face heartache and pain. I will suffer because Christ also suffered. Thankfully, mortal life also contains moments of pure joy, and if I am blessed to become pregnant, that will be such a moment. But I should strive to never forget that at any moment, any one of us could be called home, so I should not base my happiness in pregnancy, having children, my husband, my job - anything but God.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that it went well and you were refreshed with truth.

    ReplyDelete