Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Other Side

Last night we invited a couple over for dinner who have previously struggled with infertility. We didn't know them well during their struggle, and had just joined a Bible study group they were in when they announced they were pregnant after four years of infertility. Since then, we became good friends, and now I'm so thankful to have them as an example to look ahead to. They are actually expecting their SECOND child, which was unexpected, but such a wonderful surprise to them.

We greatly enjoyed hearing their full story, the lessons they learned and rejoicing that the Lord is greater and bigger than ANYTHING. When I think about this truth, it is so reassuring. I often worry and fret that I might have something physically wrong that the doctors can't tell via blood tests, ultrasound, etc. More specifically, I worry that I might have endometriosis because my mom had it, and I used to exhibit symptoms that might be explained by it (very painful cramps and large blood clots during menstruation - fortunately, since using the progesterone cream, I have no longer experienced these symptoms. I still don't have answers whether or not I have endometriosis, but I'm glad to not have those symptoms).

But when I dwell on that truth, it is so comforting to remember that no matter what might be wrong (even endometriosis), God is ALL powerful and is bigger than everything. One of my favorite songs is Chris Tomlin "Our God." If you've never heard it, do yourself a favor and click here. It pumps me up every time!

Our friends were a blessed reminder to not put our trust in anything else but the Lord. For those struggling, it's very easy to think "Ok, these herbal supplements will do the trick" or "Lying here afterwards for 20 minutes with your feet up in the air, you know, letting gravity play a part, that'll work." But there is NOTHING that you do or ever could do to make a life begin.

One neat analogy I've learned through this trial is that infertility is a lot like salvation. When people put faith in their own self-efforts to get into heaven (prayer, number of church attendance, baptism, etc.), it's pointless. We all fall short of the glory of God. There is nothing you or I could ever do to earn our own way into God's heavenly kingdom - it is only by the grace that God extended to mankind, through the perfect, sinless, holy Son, Jesus Christ, and His death and resurrection on the cross that allows us to enter His heavenly kingdom. Just like it is only God's grace in granting the creation of a life inside a womb. It's beautiful, and it's perfect, even if you or I don't understand why, when, or who receives the blessing of carrying a life. God knows all, and His will is perfect. Never forget that.

The night ended with our friends praying over us. I've been so moved at how much love and support has been thrown our way through this trial. I feel like we have a gigantic family of loved ones. It's a huge blessing. I hope you can be grateful for those kinds of friends as well.

It was so nice to see what it's like on the other side of this trial. To see how the Lord was faithful in growing them. And to be reminded that Our God is Greater!

No comments:

Post a Comment