Friday, February 18, 2011

At the Beginning Again

I decided to start a blog about my journey trying to conceive because it helps to cope with all of the emotions I feel, and maybe it will help anyone else who is also on this journey.

A little about myself: I'm 26 and my husband will be 25 in May. We've been married for almost 4 years. In December, we both decided to "stop preventing" and thus began the journey of hoping for a baby. It's now the first day of a new cycle in the month of February, and still no sign of getting close to a baby.

I don't know about you, but I had some expectations about trying for a baby. I thought we would decide to pull the goalie one day, and then bam, it would just happen right away. I mean, you spend all this time in your life trying to prevent getting pregnant - surely it's as easy as 1, 2, 3 when you actually want to! Nope. Apparently a perfectly healthy couple has only a 20% chance (roughly) of getting pregnant in a given month, and it can take said couple 6-12 months on average to successfully conceive. Those are such discouraging odds!

I'm a believer in Jesus Christ, so my faith plays a large part in how I'm choosing to look at this journey. I've read a lot on the subject of pre-conception, and am no expert, but there are a lot of things you can do to help you in this journey. At first, I set out trying to do most of them, thinking that "Ok, this is in my control..." But after following the rules and tips and driving my husband a little nutso with all the scheduling of it, I realized that ultimately, none of this is in my control. God will bless us with a baby when HE chooses to, and not a moment before. Granted, it's a lot easier to say this to myself than to actually take it to heart and relax.

So here we are at the beginning of my cycle, Day 2 to be exact. This blog will likely contain detailed information about my cycle, including cervical "stuff" as my husband prefers I call it (actually called cervical mucus), and other details. If you don't want to know, then just skip over those parts.

I welcome any comments, especially encouragement because, well, who wouldn't want a little encouragement now and again?

No comments:

Post a Comment