Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rest

As mentioned on my other blog, we recently exchanged our mattress under warranty because we weren't getting as good of rest as we should be. This got me thinking about how important rest is in our lives (and by "our," I mean the human race).

What does God say about rest?

Genesis 2:2
By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Exodus 20:11
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 34:21
[God said] "You shall work six days, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during plowing time and harvest you shall rest."

Hebrews 4:9-11
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.

Matthew 11:28-30
[Jesus said] "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

I especially love the last scripture. Isn't it wonderful to have a God who wants to comfort us and give us rest when we are weary? Going through this journey of infertility is certainly leading me to feel weary and heavy-laden -- I have to constantly turn to Him for strength and comfort, and I'm so thankful when He relieves me of burdensome feelings! Since I've stopped tracking my temperature and foolishly thinking there's little things I can do to "help" God create life, I have been able to more easily embrace His rest - what a blessing!

If you're struggling with infertility, I encourage you to take a hard look at your routine -- your thoughts, actions, habits -- and ask yourself if you're carrying an unnecessary burden. And then take the next, and sometimes most difficult step: TRUST HIM to carry those burdens for you! Rest all of your hope in Him, and His peace will set you free to find joy in this difficult chapter of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment